That are the best male/female cavy matches for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring probably the most problems in their social everyday lives. I really hope this article will causes things effortless for you really to determine on your own guinea pigs’ social life making them live pleased together.
1. Why do you want one or more guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs have become social pets, it will always be suggested which they reside with a minumum of one another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how enough time you may spend with her or him, as you aren’t (presumably, as you are looking over this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, they trying to say to us although we can mostly understand what are.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less interested, less vocal, less active, less funny. It is not normal in order for them to live without the other of the sort.
Whenever living together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance even rest cuddled up together.
Whenever cage that is choosing, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – since there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in regional dog shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, since you can help to save the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, extremely hinges on your location that is geographical and pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in case a guinea pig is just a boar or even a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term utilized to explain the castration of the male animal. It comprises of eliminating the testicles.
- Spaying: an over-all term utilized to describe the ovariohysterectomy of the sow. It consist of a removal of the sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or a quite a bit big component. It really is a serious and complicated surgical treatment.
Both spaying and neutering are medical procedures that render the pet not capable of reproducing. they truly are done with a veterinarian. They’ve been mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is advisable to save lots of the people which occur then to breed brand new people.
If having a selection, always neuter your guinea that is male pig. The operation is much more difficult for female guinea pigs. Always check with your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You should be 100% sure you understand the intercourse of the guinea pigs. There are many great pages for this, like about this website link. If you’re nevertheless uncertain in regards to the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t count on the information fond of you by the animal shop workers.
- Prepare a big cage that is enough you will find the minimal suggested proportions in the guinea pig cages web web page.
- If having two males, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so every one may have “his very very own stuff”.
- The cage and all the cage add-ons should really be washed vinegar that is using to get rid of all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can be suggested to eliminate the prevailing touch” that is“personal.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage in the comer that is new. Like that the newbie would smell like a somewhat user associated with herd.
- Quarantine duration for the guinea pig that is new. Your brand new guinea pig could carry some illnesses which may incubate for some time, and distribute among your current cavies. Therefore, it’s important to quarantine your guinea that is new pig at minimum a couple of weeks, therefore prospective ailments would show over time to avoid epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and always clean your hand after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are bought from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two infant guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and a mature guinea pig of this gender that is same
- Neutered male and something or higher females
- Two females. You are able which they will never get along will depend on their characters
- Two men could are now living in harmony, but that relies on a specific instance – again, regarding the character associated with the guinea pigs under consideration
5. Introductions guidelines and guidelines
- Whenever launching brand new guinea pig, never place your new guinea pig straight within the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very first conference must certanly be done in the big, enclosed “neutral ground” – somewhere away from cage, in a place this is certainly not used to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of a home or your bathroom.
- Place a heap of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center associated with the area.
- Spot your entire guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, just in case they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring the other person is normal. Then, all this work can happen: mounting each other, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring followed by swaggering stroll, etc. it really is a thing that is natural them – developing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and who does not care. This might just take about hour; from then on, you need to nevertheless observe them for the next number of hours.
- Following the period that is observingabout 3 hours alltogether) they need to appear confident with one another. They can be placed by you during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour when you look at the cage for the next time frame, in order to be certain they truly are okay.
- When they don’t appear to get on after their time together devoted from the basic ground, read further. When they begin to get actually aggressive and fight, you will need to toss a towel in the aggressive one and separate one from another.
6. Imagine if they don’t get on?
It will be possible that the guinea pigs won’t go along, no real matter what you are doing and just how very carefully you have got see the guidelines on this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened – nature simply works in this manner.
In original site such a circumstance, you will want to have them divided in some manner. The most sensible thing to accomplish will be have them close sufficient so they really could see, smell and communicate with one another, but are divided with a few style of a partition. These are generally nevertheless social, and having another guinea pig inside their vicinity could be a whole lot for them.